Tea, crumpets and the royal family might be popular in England but they don’t even come close to football. The modern-style football was established in England in 1863, and the country has continued to impact the game in a number of ways.
England is home to a number of football superlatives and successes. These include:
- The world’s first football club - Sheffield FC in England
- The world’s oldest professional football club is Notts County FC in England
- The world’s oldest national governing body is the Football Association in England
- The world’s oldest national knockout competition is England’s FA Cup
- The world’s oldest national league is the English Football League
- The world’s richest domestic league is the England Premier League
- England has the most clubs involved in football worldwide at 40 000
- The England football team is one of eight teams to have won the FIFA World Cup in 1966
- Five England football club teams have won the UEFA Champions League
The English Football League has 72 member clubs divided among three divisions; Championship, League One and League Two. The Premier League was established in 1992 when some of England’s top football clubs broke away from the Football League to increase their income.
The Premier League features the top 20 clubs, all operating on a system of promotion and relegation within the English Football League. The season runs from August to May with each team playing a total of 38 matches (home and away) on Saturdays and Sundays. The top clubs from the premier league will go into the UEFA Champions League, one of the most prestigious sports’ tournaments globally.
Sportingbet South Africa allows you to place your bet on all of the best England football with the added excitement of the Live Betting option. Get in the game with Sportingbet!
Select or from the live event list to view media.