Cross-country Ski Betting Odds
Rather than using ski lifts or any form of assistance (although sometimes poles are used), cross-country skiing is effectively competitors traversing snow-covered terrain using the motion of their bodies. This particular winter sport reportedly became competitive in 1843, with Norway soon establishing ski-touring competitions. It now consists of numerous annual tournaments with the top three being:
- The FIS Nordic World Ski Championships – a biennial event taking place since 1925, involving numerous skiing disciplines including cross-country skiing.
- The FIS Cross-Country World Cup – started in 1982, this takes place every year with participants earning as many points as possible during the year.
- The Winter Olympics - cross-country skiing was introduced at the Winter Olympics in 1924, with the women’s event added in 1952.
The Fédération Internationale de Ski is the governing body for skiing events including cross-country skiing. The organisation oversees various criteria related to the sport so as to enhance it for spectators. Some of the elements now managed include:
- The design of the course
- The need for different race formats
- The layout of the courses used
- The ability for skiers with disabilities to take part on courses
- The layout of the stadium where any events take place
- The need to have racing rooms and ski test areas
- The presence of a warm-up course
- Betting on the winner – this is usually done before the start of an event and allows you to bet on an outright winner.
- Betting on one competitor over another – if you’re more interested in the rivalry between two particular participants rather than the outright winner, then this is a great betting option.
- Betting on the field – as with most sporting events, cross-country skiing often has a favourite so, to making the bet more interesting, you can bet on another potential winner outside of the favourite.
Cross-country skiing betting
All of this makes for some really exciting cross-country skiing betting opportunities, available through Sportingbet SA. Some of the betting options to consider include:
Select or from the live event list to view media.